Thanks! And yep, I should probably start doing that too, VPN always on.
Also, another a great way to find other free media online without torrenting:
- SunXDCC.com, search for whatever
- Note: the Server, Channel, Botname, Pack number
- (e.g. irc.abjects.net, #BEAST-XDCC, beasty-boi, #37)
- On an Android: Download "Revolution IRC" from F-droid or Aurora or wherever
- Connect to the server, join the channel, and message the bot: e.g "/msg beasty-boi xdcc get 37”
- Watch the magic unfold
Revolution is a fantastic piece of irc software, and you can alias a lot of what was done above (e.g. autojoin a specific channel when you connect to a specific server)
Also, because the transfer uses a nonstandard port, I've found that the transfers are NOT filtered or rate-limited on public WiFi networks. Hell I've achieved speeds of 50Mb on the train.